Ava Olsian – Athlete Profile

Shannon Hayes, Student Journalist

Senior Ava Olsian is making waves. Champion of the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle, qualifying to compete at states for three years in a row, Ava’s passion for competitive swimming just continues to grow.

Ava started club swimming when she was seven or eight years old and never stopped. Now, she swims with two teams, the Binghamton High School Varsity Swim Team and the Union Aquatic Club, swimming with the latter in the off season.

The best part of swimming for Ava? Her team. “I love all my teammates. I love going to practice and hanging out with friends. I love going to the different meets and meeting people.” Playing with students from different schools has never been a drawback to her. “I like it a lot,” she explained. “Meeting the different people, working together as a team, coming together across the years. It’s always been really good.” The Binghamton Girls Swim team has grown, and Ava along with it. Last year, Ava was named captain of the group.

Out of the pool, Ava can be found at the New Visions Health Academy or the Jewish Community Center, working as a swim instructor and lifeguard. Balancing life between her meets and practices hasn’t always been easy, but Ava attests to how it’s helped her improve her time management skills.

Within the next year, Ava would like to break 24 seconds with the 50 freestyle, something she’s been steadily working towards. Besides that, she doesn’t have any concrete goals she’s looking to tackle. “I wouldn’t say I have any set long-term goals for this sport. I just continue having fun with it.”

Ava’s advice to any up-and-coming swimmers is simple. “Just work hard…and have fun with it.”

Ava will attend Binghamton University in the fall, where she will be studying Pre-Physical Therapy, after discovering an interest in the subject through her New Visions academy. She’s excited to join the Bearcats’ swim team. “Everyone seemed really nice. When I went to visit, all the girls were super sweet and it was just a really welcoming environment.” We at Voice of the Saints wish Ava the best at Binghamton University. College can be nerve-wracking and exciting, but we can’t wait to watch her dive right in!